Changing your name on Facebook can be a daunting task if you don’t know how to do it. But it’s not as hard as you might think!
- 1 How to Change your Name on Facebook Step By Step
- 1.1 Step 1: Log in to Facebook.
- 1.2 Step 2: Go to your profile by clicking on your name.
- 1.3 Step 3: Click the ‘Edit Profile button at the bottom of your cover image.
- 1.4 Step 4: Click the ‘About’ tab and then click the ‘Name’ link under ‘Basic Info.’
- 1.5 Step 5: Enter your name in the first box and click ‘Review Change.’
- 1.6 Step 6 (Optional): Upload a document that proves your name.
How to Change your Name on Facebook Step By Step
In this article, we’ll walk you through the process step-by-step so that you can change your name on Facebook in no time at all.
Step 1: Log in to Facebook.
To get started, you’ll need to log in with your Facebook username and password. The first step is to click on the Facebook logo at the top of your browser window (if you’re not already logged in). From there, click “Sign In” in the pop-up box that appears, which will bring up a new login window where you can enter your credentials. Once everything’s entered properly and you’ve hit “Submit,” you should be able to access your account like normal!
Step 2: Go to your profile by clicking on your name.
Now that you know how to access your profile, it’s time to change your name. There are two ways of doing this:
- Click on your name in the top right corner of the screen and select “Edit Profile.”
- Go to your profile by clicking on your name in any one of these places: Who’s Online box, Profile Picture box or Friends box.
Now that you’ve chosen a new name, it’s time to let your friends know. But be patient: They may not see the change right away.
To make sure everyone sees your new name, you’ll need to either tag or friend them again. You can do this by clicking their profile photo (or searching their name), then select ‘Tag’ or ‘Friend’. Once your friends see that you’ve changed your name on Facebook, they’ll be able to update it in their own profiles and will no longer see the old one when they visit yours.
Click the ‘About’ tab and then click the ‘Name’ link under ‘Basic Info.’
Next, you’ll see a screen where you can change your name. Click the pencil icon to edit your name.
Type in the new name you want to go by on Facebook and hit Enter or Return on your keyboard (if you’re on a Mac).
Step 5: Enter your name in the first box and click ‘Review Change.’
- Enter your name in the first box and click ‘Review Change.’
- The next page will show you a list of all your friends whose profile names won’t look exactly like what you’ve entered. You’ll see how many people are affected by this change, as well as how many friends have already approved it. If there are any people whose profiles might be affected, they’ll get an email notification about your name change at their personal email address that’s associated with Facebook — not just at their Facebook address!
- Click “Submit for Review” if all looks good to you and move on to step 6: getting notifications of new friend requests from people who want to be connected with you again!
Step 6 (Optional): Upload a document that proves your name.
- If you want to, you can upload a document that proves your name. This is an optional step and not required in order to change your name on Facebook.
- Uploading this document must be done through the “Documents” feature of your Settings page. To get there:
- Go to [Your Profile Name] > [Settings] > [Basic].
- Select the “Documents” tab and choose the appropriate category for what kind of document you have (e.g., passport or driver’s license). Then, click Add Document for one that’s already on file with Facebook or Upload A New Document if yours isn’t already listed in their system.
Changing your name on Facebook is straightforward and easy to do.
Changing your name on Facebook is one of the easiest things you can do. You don’t need to wait until you have a new ID, and there’s no limit to the number of times you can change your name so long as it’s for something legitimate.
You’ll want to make sure that when you’re changing your name from one thing to another that it’s because:
- You legally changed your last name (or any part) in the last three months
- The details about yourself match exactly what’s stated in legal documents (like an ID or passport)
We hope you found this article helpful and we wish you all the best in changing your name on Facebook. If there are any questions we didn’t cover here, please comment below and we will be happy to assist!